With special guest Brett Kiesel of the Pittsburgh Steelers...
The Penguin Bookshop Children's Festival is a celebration of summer reading, for, and by children in the greater Pittsburgh community. This event will be an effort to accumulate donated books geared towards teens for the Homeless Children's Education Fund. Monetary donations will also be accepted.
The festival is a daylong family centered event which will include:
10:00-4:00 It's a Penguin Party
Come anytime for a plethora of penguin activities featuring:
- Customers are encouraged to purchase titles appropriate for teens who are supported by the Homeless Children's Educational Fund
- Penguin Publishing Group book based art and reading activities for characters such as Lady Bug Girl, Skippy Jon Jones, Spot and Froggy
- Painting tiles/squares to fit in a larger art piece, titled Kids Read, to be hung in the bookstore and raffled at our end-of-summer auction
- A visist from Smiley the Eat-n-Park mascot
- Complete scavenger hunt and choose a prize from the Penguin Bookshop Igloo
11:00-12:00 A visit with Elvis, a penguin from the National Aviary
Elvis is a South African penguin who lives at the National Aviary with his buddies, Sydney, Patrick, and Stanley. Today Elvis will visit and be on hand with a representative from the Aviary to answer your questions.
11:00-2:00 Brett Kiesel visits the Penguin Bookshop
Story time with Brett Kiesel of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who will read two of his most memorable children's books.
12:00-1:00 An Old Fashioned Ice Cream Social: Make a Sundae on Saturday
Sewickley Patch will provide all the ingredients for awesome sundaes. Penguin Bookshop will serve complimentary advanced reading chapters from popular books series so that everyone can get the "scoop" on what's next for their favorite characters.